Designer: Burgess, Rigg & Morgan Ltd. | Abeking & Rasmussen
Year Built: 1928 | Other Names: Horizons (1953), Lithuanica (1976)
Length Overall: 21.09m | Waterline: 13.03m
Beam: 3.87m | Draft 2.58m | Sail Area: 183.sq m
Construction: wood on steel frames
First Owner: W. Cameron Forbes, U.S.A.
Current Owner: Chuck Parrish | Homeport: Newport, RI
Built for W. Cameron Forbes of Boston, MA she was one of six 12s designed by Starling Bugess for American owners and built by Abeking & Rasmussen. Although she was very actively raced from 1928-1930, she had poor results. In 1936 she was purchased by Horace F. Smith who kept her in Philadelphia, PA. From 1946-1952 her homeport was Easton, Oxford and Gibson, Island, MD owned by Frederic Requardt, Jr., who gave her a new lead keel in 1946. From 1953-1975, she was owned by Ward H. and Virginia E. Bright who renamed her Horizons and sailed her from Cape May, NJ and St. Croix, USVI. From 1976-1990 Al Urbelis renamed her Lithuanica and kept her in New Jersey.
Onawa was purchased by Daniel Prentiss, Robert H. Tiedemann and Alfred B. Van Liew II, who restored her original name and brought her to Newport, RI. Since 2000, Onawa, has been managed by McMillen Yachts Inc. She was completely rebuilt at Newport Shipyard using parts from Waiandance (US-1) and was actively sailed and raced in the Newport fleet.
Onawa is currently stored at Hunt Yachts in Portsmouth, RI. She was donated to Block Island Maritime Funding (BIMF) in December 2014. Earl McMillan organized a program to have her donated to BIMF after it was apparent that there was overseas interest in purchasing her and he was intent on keeping her in Newport. She is currently available for long term charter (through BIMF) to a group or syndicate that will continue to maintain her in her excellent condition.
*Content courtesy: The Twelve Metre Class by Dyer Jones & Luigi Lang