Designer: C. Raymond Hunt & F.C. Williams Associates | Builder: James E. Graves, Inc.
Year Built: 1958 | Other Names: Newsboy (1969)
Length Overall: 19.94m | Waterline: 14.35m
Beam: 3.66m | Draft 2.79m | Displacement: 27.8 tons | Sail Area: 179sq. m
Construction: double-planked mahogany, oak frames
First Owner: Easterner Syndicate, U.S.A.
Current Owner: Thorpe Leeson | Homeport: Newport, RI
Built for the Chandler Hovey family, she entered the 1958, 1962 and 1964 Defender Trials. Although the boat had great potential, as she was considered the fastest of the 1958 12s, she was unsuccessful in capturing the Defender position. In 1962 she won the Astor Cup (NYYC) and the Queen’s Cup (NYYC) in 1964.
She was purchased by John F. Baillie who renamed her Newsboy. During this time her homeport was Newport Beach, CA.
Arthur Schlossmann (Jamestown RI), SASA Charters Inc., purchased her and undertook a refit at the Brooklin Boat Yard and Cove Haven Marina with a major structural restoration including re-framing, re-fastening and refinishing. In 2008 Schlossmann donated Easterner to Sail to Prevail (Newport, RI), The National Disabled Sailing Program.
Thorpe Lesson (Newport,RI) purchased Easterner, she is currently undergoing a refit in Maine.
*Content courtesy: The Twelve Metre Class by Dyer Jones & Luigi Lang